Our History

Methodist worship services were conducted in West Liberty, later known as Dayton, as early as 1863. By 1900 they First Methodist Church had a full-time Pastor, the Rev. G.T. Newberry, who conducted services in the Dayton school house on North Main Street. In 1906 the congregation built its first Sanctuary, a one story wooden structure with a bell tower, which continued to serve the members until 1928. A church school also was organized in 1906, and Charles Wilson was elected to serve as the first Superintendent. A series of worship and education facilities were constructed to accommodate the growing congregation through the years, including a large two story brick building with a basement on the northwest corner of Houston Avenue and Cleveland Street in 1928. Due to continued growth, the 1928 structure was razed in 1980, and the congregation built a new sanctuary in 1981. After a denominational merger in 1968, the church’s name was changed to First United Methodist Church. Throughout the years, the congregation has served the community to make Disciples for Christ with a variety of worship, educational, social, and missionary programs. The new sanctuary built in 1981, being paid in full, was dedicated February 12, 1995.